Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Why AI ?

AI is agitatingly interesting.

I just can't get it out of my head, it has such arresting implications, and actual implementations. But still has room for mailing lists full of tomes that start with "I believe ...".

Of course there is no such thing as "Artificial Intelligence", because there is no agreed definition of intelligence. Hence poor ol' Deep Blue takes on the champeen o de worl', beats him, and ... is not "intelligent" after all. And many algorithms will suffer the same applied ignominy as it turns out their solutions aren't "intelligent" after all. Like Jane in Michael Jackson's story.

All of which shall continue in the great world out there, but in here I am going to apply insights derived from the field to the more awkwardly immediate problem of PI - programming intelligence.

Why should PI be a more immediate problem than AI ? Because I need it daily, and the tools I have to work with are so fucking primitive. With one or two honourable exceptions, the tools I use for programming, are nothing to do with programming !

Ok, ok, caveats galore again - I do use compilers, and build systems, and debuggers, but for two out of these three I don't use them directly, they happen behind the curtain. And, now that I think of it - I haven't used a debugger in months. Not since I switched to Python.

So I can reasonably repeat - the tools I use for programming know nothing about programming.

Enhanced by Zemanta

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home